So...its taken nearly a month, but those wonderful metal halide lights that Matt got me are about to go above the tank. I needed a taller light canopy because these MH bulbs are so freaking huge. The LFS wanted $200 for a new canopy. That was out of the question...so Matt suggested making one out of MDF particle board.
I liked the idea of building my own, but hated the particle board...so I opted for just recreating the pine canopy. It worked out really well I think. We didn't have a router for the edges, but I tacked/glued on 1/2" quarter round to finish it off and it looks pretty damn close to the old 6" canopy. Even found the right dark walnut stain so it will match the stand and old lid.
Matt and I spent about 2 hours outside in the freezing cold yesterday cutting, gluing and tacking it together. Today I re-cut one of the trim pieces that wasn't "perfect"...and then wood puttied the imperfections and sanded it down.
I liked the idea of building my own, but hated the particle board...so I opted for just recreating the pine canopy. It worked out really well I think. We didn't have a router for the edges, but I tacked/glued on 1/2" quarter round to finish it off and it looks pretty damn close to the old 6" canopy. Even found the right dark walnut stain so it will match the stand and old lid.
Matt and I spent about 2 hours outside in the freezing cold yesterday cutting, gluing and tacking it together. Today I re-cut one of the trim pieces that wasn't "perfect"...and then wood puttied the imperfections and sanded it down.
Tomorrow it gets a new bar attachment for the moonlight bars, two new side exhaust holes for the fans I will add later and then two coats of stain. I even cut out some felt for the bracing bars and backend so it doesn't scuff the top of the acrylic anymore. After that I just have to hardwire up the MH sockets and clip all the wires down.
I'm glad we built it. Not only does it look great and lend a sense of accomplishment, but it was a good bonding experience with my brother...which is priceless.
I'm glad we built it. Not only does it look great and lend a sense of accomplishment, but it was a good bonding experience with my brother...which is priceless.
No comments:
Post a Comment