Monday, September 22, 2008

Who's the Pack Leader?





I am home more often now since my grandfather passed away a week and a half ago. Over the last six months my focus has been squarely with him and my grandmother - my pups have taken a backseat in many ways.

And so its with this new daily awareness of their every movement that a few bad habits are grating on my nerves. And yes, its all my fault for spoiling them and not seizing my role as Pack Leader from the very beginning...so don't lecture me...I watch The Dog Whisperer too.



But things are a changing around here and so must things change for the "kids." So as with everything these days I need another post-it note to keep me focused on things.



The problems:
  1. Bailey's obsessive barking at every bird, butterfly or leaf that catches her attention
  2. Bailey's whining (new) for food and I am not talking about the kibble
  3. Bailey's habit of laying on people's head or across Bean (I have no idea what it means)
  4. Bean & Bailey's aggressiveness toward other dogs - the #1 problem actually
  5. Bailey's barking and skittishness with new people
  6. The one-trick dog syndrome (sit) and ignoring all other attempts for trick #2


For some background, Bean was a "lost dog" rescue that came to me when she was about 10-12 months old. I believe she's a mini-dachshund with a mix...we haven't gotten the DNA test back yet (yes, seriously). Bean is now 6 year old and has always been two things: ball obsessive and dog aggressive.

Then there is Bailey, my 14 month old, purebred blk/tan mini-dachshund. She thinks I am loaded and thus don't have to work...since she's never seen me leave for work since I bought her last October. And yes, save the lecture about puppy stores and the mills. I probably know more about it than you do...but I couldn't walk away from this one. So all of Bailey's issues are either taught by Bean or enabled by me. Wonderful, the first step is admitting that you are the problem (that includes you Bean so don't give me that damn look).

To the right is Charlie, he belongs to my friend Shan. Charlie is about 11 months old and a rescue...and obviously a Golden Retriever. He's got a pleasant disposition and about the only problem I find with him is that Shan allows him to sit in the passenger seat, even when there is a human passenger...thus I drive her car a lot now when we take Charlie to the beach. Other than that she has done a great job in the last 7 months of training him. And I guess that surprises me, since I am the dog lover here.

When I reflect on this its clear that I don't like being the disciplinarian, but I also realize if I don't do it then no one will. So with that I am turning over yet another leaf in this forest of mine because I would love, love, love to be able to take my girls to Dog Beach every week like I do Charlie. And yeah, they probably aren't going to go in the drink with me to retrieve the ball or frisbee I just threw, but at least they can go run off the leash and tippy-toe in the water. That is my dream anyway.

So the plan is to first read Leader of the Pack, which has been shelfbound since its arrival and then Cesar's Way which is just as dusty. Secondly, Bailey successful killed both her harness and Bean's this week by chewing the plastic clips so that is the first order of business tomorrow when I go to get more kibble...new pink walking harnesses. Pink because their asses need to calm down and I heard that works for prisoners. And if you two don't stop eyeballing me from across the room I am going to make sure its a floral print. See...who's the pack leader now?

Seriously though the biggest thing I am doing wrong is the lack of daily and consistent exercise. So that changes immediately. I can't handle them both at the same time so this is actually a bigger commitment than it first appears - they have to be walked separately at least twice a day.

Eventually Bean might drop the 6 lbs. she needs to lose and be able to keep up with Bailey, but for the moment one pulls and the other sits down every 3 or 4 feet to rest. Legitimately, Bean may have the early signs of back problems so the weight issue is worrisome. And yes, she's on a diet.

As Cesar outlines 50% of it is exercise, then consistent discipline and finally affection. So, I'll pick up the harnesses and treats tomorrow (rewards), then we will begin the process of getting these girls on a daily walking program. Hopefully, I will find the rest of the answers between the covers of those two books this week. I realized the other day that the barking has to stop because soon I will be working again and not here to "control" the noise for the neighbors. Then all hell is going to break loose as my neighbors are not shy about yelling over the wall.

Another note to self:

  • Bean is due for her vaccine (next Thurs)
  • Both need new licenses







No comments:

We Are the Keepers of this Planet

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Dinosaur Caves

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed