Thursday, September 18, 2008

Reef Tank Goals

Ok, so I have a few goals that i want to achieve with this reef tank over the next year. And right now, due to the current unemployment status, a lot of those goals ar on hold. I did however make a large purchase of the SeaChem product line after doing some research with my goals in mind and the anniversary sale prices at DFS.com didn't hurt in that decision.

As far as fish go, I am pretty much maxed out. I would like to pull Leto out because she is constantly harassed by the other female cardinal, Hera. If I make that move, then I'd like to pick up a male McCosker's Wrasse (right).



Next year, once the refugium and tank are well established, then I'd like to add a Splendid Leopard Wrasse. That will pretty much do it for fish...unless I make a small clown goby addition on pure impulse. At some point down the line Doc is going to get too big for the tank...right now he's a comfortable 4-5 inches. I am pretty happy with the Naso tang so I'd probably just get another juvenile.

Additional Cleaning Crew:



  • Banded Trochus Snail

  • Large Nassarius Snails

  • two medium peppermint shrimps for the refugium (aipastia)

  • two fire shrimps for the display

  • a few additional red or blue legged hermits

  • Electric blue and orange hermit (one each)

  • Red-footed snail

  • Turbo Snail

Coral Additions:



  • Electric green Hammer from the LFS

  • Anchor coral

  • more pulsing xenia

  • Fungia plate

  • Bubble coral

  • yellow polyps

  • Ricordea and Yuma mushroom rock

  • Spiderman mushrooms (red/blue)

  • Misc mushrooms

  • Daisy polyps

  • Open brains

  • Pink Zoanthids

  • more green star polyps

  • Leather coral

Growth Goals:


I am hoping the additional calcium and other SeaChem elements will get the current coral growth kickstarted. But another thing I would like to see this year is the complete coverage of pink & purple corraline algae on my rock and back wall. This should also help reduce the nuisance hair algae.


Equipment Goals:



  • Upgrade to two 150 or 175 watt metal halides

  • Replace the current compacts with 65w actnics

  • add fans for hood heat

  • replace the external water pump (runs hot & vibrates)

  • replace stand with an upgraded 10" hood (wishful thinking since it means tearing the reef down)

  • Battery backup air pump

  • Surge Strip (3 foot)

  • Timer for fuge light (switch to a 12/12 cycle)

  • acrylic scratch kit

So these are my reef goals for the next year. Overall, I am pretty happy with my progress in the last 5 months. Matt's tank of course is gorgeous...with that higher quality stand/hood, MH lighting and some beautiful coral pieces. But I'll get there. Bottomline is that I never thought, imagined or planned on getting back into this hobby while unemployed...its simply was not in the budget (thanks Matt) - but it has been a nice addition and I don't regret it a bit.


No comments:

We Are the Keepers of this Planet

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Dinosaur Caves

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed