
Meaning that you are what you eat in many respects. Eat junk and you won't have the fuel to Bring It. High octane fuel burns better in the machine you are trying to create.
Not so much an issue for me as I gave up fast food a year ago. But I haven't fully converted over to eating healthy - meaning I skip meals, am probably caloric deficient on some days and have not kicked all the processed stuff off my intake, aside from the really obvious crap and sweets.
So this last week has been a good education on reading nutrition labels, understanding how the body uses calories and the allocation % of carbs to protein to fats. Even some understanding of the glycemic index and good vs. bad fats.
I've come to these conclusions:
- Food nutrition and exercise (including their education) need to be taught continuously to kids thru HS graduation with a pass/fail certification. Fail and you don't get to buy food. Simple.
- The FDA needs to reform the whole food label legislation and make it easier for your everyday idiot to understand. Right now there is entirely too much math involved to complicate a simple trip to Vons.
- All this crap food needs to be outlawed. Yep, you heard me right - ILLEGAL.
- All our fruits, veggies and meats need to be ORGANIC.
- Processed items (because some things must be processed in some manner - think coffee) should not be manufactured on the same production line as things requiring melamine or other toxic additives thus risking cross-contamination capable of killing man & beasts alike.
Those are my political views for FDA regulation reform because let's face it we are a fat, lazy and ever-expanding unhealthy society...which in the end costs more in healthcare than simple education and "no, you can't eat that" regulations. And you might as well toss cigarettes into that mix too...same formula, different variable. Ok, stepping off my soapbox. Damn if I couldn't be Vice President one day.
Back to the food. The Nutrition Plan is simple, yet comprehensive. It very clearly states this isn't about "caloric deficit" because you are going to need clean energy in order to execute the workouts - this is not a fast track weight solution; this is about creating the best body you can be over time. It will take dedicated work and discipline.
The nutrition plan was designed by Carrie Wiatt, owner of LA based Diet Designs and author of Eating by Design and Portion Savvy. Her P90X plan is based on 3 phases:
- Fat Shredder
- Energy Booster
- Endurance Maximizer
They very clearly allow for you to be flexible to what your individual body requires, so you don't have to spend 30-days in the Fat Shredder phase before moving to the Energy Booster phase and so on. And they explain the whys and hows of making this decision.
Within each of those three phases are her three approaches for each:
- Portion Approach - more for those w/o time or who don't like to cook
- Meal Plan Approach - the "dummy" approach
- Quick Option Approach - you're back is against the wall, what ready made items can you eat?
Another note, it isn't about weight loss, its about reducing body fat % and building lean muscle mass. Measure body fat and stop playing the inaccurate scale game as a test of how healthy you are.
Next, within those three approaches are three nutrition levels which are based on a formula of:
- Your body weight x 10 = your RMR (in calories)
- RMR x 20% = your Daily Activity Burn
- Your RMR + DAB +600 = your Energy Amount
Based on that you will fall into one of three Nutrition Levels:
- Energy Amount of 1200 to 2399 = 1800 calories/day (Level 1)
- Energy Amount of 2400 to 2999 = 2400 calories/day (Level 2)
- Energy Amount of 3000 + = 3000 calories/day (Level 3)
Given that data the rest of the Nutrition Plan is basically a breakdown based on what phase you are in and what level. The book outlines a comprehensive menu schedule and supporting recipes for each individualized phase/level.
A few General Guidelines are talked about:
- Keep a food journal (provided in the back of the Planner)
- Understand why diet matters
- Follow a regular eating schedule (amen!)
- Toss the Junk foods
- Know what results to expect
- Don't skip meals
- Plan your food choices ahead of time
- Don't skimp of fruits and veggies
- Drink water and on time for routines
- Understand the Recovery Drink
- Know when to adjust your calories
- Don't Bonk
- Low fat cooking techniques
- And if you are a vegetarian
Based on the plan, I am at Level 1 Nutrition Level (1800 calories/day) with the intention of sticking with the Meal Plan Approach with a few minor substitutions toward my own food preferences and I have to figure out the dairy servings (no lactose for me thanks). I don't expect to be in the Fat Shredder phase for very long as I am already pretty slender and feel like energy to burn is going to be the priority in order to survive & thrive.
I will admit I am jealous of anyone that gets to eat 3000 calories a day. I have no idea what 3 oz. of meat looks like, but I am assuming it is 1/4 of what I typically consume. Boo.
Bottom line for me, is if I am going to go thru all these brutal workouts for 90-days, then bet your ass I am making sure I don't hinder those results by stuffing crap in my mouth. So right here is where you need to decide if you can commit to that part of the process in order to succeed. If not, then pack up your P90X, get a RA# from customer service and send it back for a refund. Use that $120 to go buy some cheese wizzles and rent a few flicks and just accept it that you are unwilling to change.
Not everyone is ready to love themselves enough to do the work required to change the things they really hate about themselves. It took me 20 years to decide that I love myself enough to bring the discipline back that is required to have a better body for what will be the rest of my earthly life.
No comments:
Post a Comment