Sunday, September 21, 2008

Some calculations

I took the Metabolic Typing test in Jillian Michael's Making the Cut (pg. 13-17). Basically, I am a Balanced Oxidizer. My specific results were:

12 - A answers (slow oxidizer)

23 - B answers (balanced oxidizer)

12 - C answers (fast oxidizer)


There is a corresponding diet outline for each type. She recommends that my ideal macronutrient ratio based on type is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I'm not sure how to count all that up in real life, but this 510/390/390 kcal formula feels low when a steak is about 800 kcals. I can only eat half a steak?

Heart Rate:

Next, I calculated my estimated heart rate stats*:

MHR = 180

RHR = 68

* I need to get a new heart rate monitor, any suggestions out there? I am thinking about doing this until I really decide if using a HRM again all the time (for other activites) is something I want to get back into.


BMR:

Moving on - my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) - the estimated minimum level of energy required to sustain the body's vital functions when at rest. The Harris-Benedict formula is used to calculate
the BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)
.

Mine came in at 1295 to 1303 kcal/day (I used a few different calculators out there) to maintain my weight of 120#.

Now my goal is to actually pick up weight in terms of lean muscle mass and drop a little of the fat. Jillian's book recommends (based on those BMR calcs for myself) to maintain my caloric intake at 1200 cal/day...which feels entirely too low for what I think the P90X workout will do to me. So I will wait to see that program's Nutrition Guide before accepting this as the best method.

I really don't want to "count" calories anyway...just improve my diet both in quality intake and consistent meals. Yes, I am one of those people that doesn't eat breakfast (sans coffee), may skip lunch but devours dinner and snacks until bedtime. I recognize its not balanced right now and probably contributing to my overall fatigue and stress.


BMI:

Ok, enough of that - my BMI (Body Mass Index) calcs - basically a formula based on height and weight to estimate body fat and gauge health risks with carrying too much weight (not my
problem).

My BMI estimate is 18.8 @ height of 67" and 120#

This falls in the healthy range albeit on the low end of the scale leaning toward underweight (duh!) and as soon as I turn 40 the calculations sends me right into the unhealthy category...lol. 40!.


Body Fat %:

Mine will be a complete estimate in lieu of skin calipers or hydrostatic weight. However, once I get a pair of calipers, then this link looks like a good one to plug in the numbers.

Until then the estimate is : 22.7%

Higher than I expected but in range. I just remember it once being 18% but I guess that isn't necessary anymore since my racing days are over.

Body Measurements:

I'm not going to blog the specific measurements right now. I think I am still mulling them over (emotionally). But the hourglass data was 35-27-37. More proof my genetics shorted me 2 full inches or one cup size. I want a refund...someone clearly owes me a boob or money so I can upgrade.

Blood Pressure:

Today my PM measurement was 98/70 sys/dia with a pulse rate of 73.

I'm also using an Omron blood pressure device (3x daily) which comes with some software to track results. I usually run on the low end here too.

Guess that's it for now until I take my before pics (yikes). And I guess I should preface this now, I am well aware that I don't need to lose weight...again, not my goal at all. I am currently a size 6 and very ok with that. But there is such a thing as "skinny fat." And just because my BMI is low doesn't mean I am healthy or fit.

I think its a common misconception that slender women are fit or workout, rather than poor eating habits and/or genetics or high metabolisms. I have always struggled with keeping weight on, especially when stressed. My best fitness years were between 15 to 21 yrs. old when I was actively working out with weights and cycling.

So I say this because my before pics aren't going to get me much sympathy (and that's ok because I wasn't looking for any), but the whole point of this is maximizing my overall health and fitness levels...and if I get a better looking body out of it then great.

One last tidbit as I was calculating things today. If I donated $1 for every heart beat I have had since birth til about an hour ago...it would pay in full for the estimated cost of the AIG bailout. Ridiculous! I got a better idea, how about the entire management team of AIG just turn over their entire assets and we'll call it square. Or do they get to walk away like the folks at Enron and all the other CEOs that jumped out with their little golden parachutes?

:getting off the soapbox before this turns into a different kind of blog entry:

No comments:

We Are the Keepers of this Planet

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Dinosaur Caves

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed