
Uh oh...I'm officially out of coffee. The day before yesterday I was feeling under the weather...and perhaps it was the late night workout or the fact that its that time of the month, but I found myself at 9pm brewing my first cup of coffee.
A splittin' headache had sent me to the kitchen in search of my sidekick. How I had overlooked my regular habit that morning I have no idea...but I do believe I was in withdrawal...even if just a tiny bit. Thus today, I scrapped the bottom of the bean bowl and ground up what was left to perk out a 4-cup pot.
So tomorrow is Election Day. Woo Hoo! I was on of the early voters, but it appears I will be standing in line tomorrow anyway. My dear old grandma procrastinated in sending in her permanent-by-mail ballot, so I will be standing in line to deliver it to a poll worker for her...as well as my overworked brother. Mo will be with me if I have to kick & scream & drag her because she never got her absentee ballot back in the mail (hmmmm, I wonder how that could happen, Mo?).
Tomorrow will be historic on so many levels. Nationally, we may finally embrace diversity and hope. Tomorrow also marks the very real possibilty that liberal Californians will write discrimination into the State's Constitution eliminating the rights of gays to marry...a right that they have had for less than 6 months. A campaign waged and funded primarily by religious groups and spearheaded by Utah's Mormons. How is this even a possibility in the USA today? Simple...the peddling of FEAR. Use the children and sell fear to the ignorant.
I am preparing myself for an emotionally tumultuous day tomorrow...one of hope and disappointment. In 36 hours the polls will have been closed and early rolling poll counts will begin to reveal whether or not we have overcome both racism and discrimination in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. Or will small, factional groups continue to push their racist and religious agendas and influence their voter base to vote out of fear? Have we all forgotten where we come from? Have we forgotten the diversity of Ellis Island? Have we forgotten the blood that we bled together on distant shores in order to protect our beliefs...white blood, black blood, Asian blood, Hispanic blood and yes, gay blood.
Wake up America, Rome is Burning. We decide what America stands for...not bipartisan parties, corporate lobbyists or archaic religious organizations.
No comments:
Post a Comment