Ok...I've been sick and not up to joining my gay brothers & sisters on the streets of LA to protest Prop 8's passage. But I've got a bone to pick with some of my brethren out there about the image some of them are projecting. I might piss some people off, but it needs to be addressed on some level...even if just food for thought before dressing up for your next date. And no, I'm not advocating uniforms...just a little mainstream maturity.
So, imagine you are NOT gay for a minute. Yes I know...your life suddenly got so much easier huh? Well, this is pretend so don't get too attached...just imagine that Prop 8 doesn't really affect you whether it passed or not.
Imagine you aren't that religious...you're one of those people that go to church on holidays, has a general belief in God but isn't weighed down by any fundamentalist beliefs...you've sinned and know it. Imagine for a minute that you are married and have two kids, a toddler and a teenager. Imagine that you are about 35-50 years old and vote Democratic in most elections. However, you don't have any openly gay family or friends that you engage with (but you know who Ellen is). Ok, got that avatar in your head? Now, I'd say that this demographic might be a good candidate for supporting gay civil rights, wouldn't you?
Ok so let's jump to tonight's news coverage of the Silverlake Prop 8 protest. Let's survey the crowd a bit...in fact let's start with:
the rather large, seemingly hairy, painted-face man wearing some kind of funky garb/hat...who had an opportunity to say something really profound on behalf of the "cause" and instead shouted during his national TV debut, "Chickens have more rights than me!" Mind you, his hat resembled a bird's beak...so after the initial "WTF did he say?" all I could do was laugh at how ridiculous he appeared. Impassioned - yes...but utterly ridiculous. And yes, I get the whole Prop 2 reference...but he looked like a fat bird squawking on the corner...seriously I wish I could find the clip to prove my point.
But let's dissect this gay moment from the perspective of that imaginary potential supporter above. You just witnessed a very confusing image of a fat man with circus paint on his face yelling about how his chicken has more rights than him. It's laughable...and confusing on multiple levels. And despite the seriousness and obvious passion he felt in his plea to drivers passing by, all I can think is - "Really? This is the profound statement you want to make both verbally and visually to mainstream America on national TV?"
I gotta tell ya...as a gay woman who is just as passionate and just as angered by this little legislative setback as I think this guy was, I really went thru a range of emotions when I watched him represent our entire community in 15 seconds of glory - drag or otherwise confused.
Honestly, I am still reeling from that image of him standing on the corner protesting. Was he really trying to be a drag queen? And if so, why is he compelled to dress like this for a protest march? - save that for the WeHo bear clubs buddy. Was he wearing face paint because he's not out at home or work? Doesn't he understand that in many ways he hurts us more than helps by isolating support for those that really can't connect to the whole drag experience?
Just like all men and women, there is such a range of the spectrum in how we look, but America for years has been sold snapshots and has emotional responses to those snapshots:
- the drag queen
- the leather daddy
- the bear
- the young gay go-go boys
- the femmed-up man with the high pitch voice and flamboyant gestures
- the hot gay model guy with all the muscles and the top button of his jeans undone
- the butchy motorcycle dyke that may be packing more than a .38
- the flannel-wearing lesbo with a mullet cut
- the plus-size lesbian that looks more like her father or brother
- the hot lesbian that every man fantasizes about seducing, converting or watching with another hot lesbian
- that you are attracted to the same gender
>But if Ellen was packaged differently, then I might not have that same immediate response even though she might be all those lovely things. I might get too hung up on the Speedos. This is one of our challenges...the small segments and subcultures cannot be the majority view. So either they have to stop showing up in their garb (or lack of clothing); or the other 95% of the community needs to be seen. And honestly its probably a little bit of both. But next time you watch a gay show or event...turn off the sound and really look at how we appear...do we look like the rest of America or are we so caught up in this queer rainbow culture that some wear like armor that others can't get close enough to us to find common ground? I think we have to ponder this.
>And again, visibility matters. So to all those parents and religious types that were so afraid of having their schools teach gay marriage, guess what? The gay community is going to have to get over their closeted fears and when they do they will be visible...everywhere. And its then that your children are going to be confronted with the diverse reality around them. If you haven't taught them about gay marriage or diversity or tolerance, then they are still gonna get schooled...just not in the safe bounds of a classroom where they can ask questions and get a real answer. The more you try to stuff us into a closet, the more you piss off the whole community...and once you piss off the quiet mainstream gays that you assume are straight, then your whole world is going to go humpty-dumpty on you. On that day you are going to realize just how many gays you know, love and voted against...and they probably already figured out who you are and what you stand for. All those stones in your pockets that you so freely toss our way are in my opinion weighing you down from every knowing God. Should we legislate every single sin in the Bible? And of all the sins, how many are your own?
No comments:
Post a Comment