
It was with a certain pride tonight that I witnessed my mom take a solicitous political call from the "other" side. The "Yes on 8" mob called her to ask for her vote on Tuesday and were met with a resounding, "I'm voting NO on that." Click.
Also, my baby brother tried again to explain to my 85 year old grandmother how Prop 8 would write discrimination into the Constitution, even though being gay might not be on her beloved Catholic agenda. She's going to take a little work. I underestimated those Catholics.
My middle brother called to ask how to register to vote a few weeks back, risking (yikes) being called up for jury duty in the future.
So to my family, thank you for taking one small step along the path I walk every day. I know its foreign ground for you still. I know you might be a little uncomfortable having to "come out" as the parent or brother of your gay child or sister. I get it.
It would be easier for us all if maybe things would have been different. But despite how challenging the path can be at times...I am proud of who I am. I am proud to be gay, to love as deeply as I have despite the ridiculous opposition out there that says my love is a sin and immoral.
No, what is immoral is the hate. Pure and simple...it takes more guts to walk this path than those cowards will ever know or have the courage to do.
WE are voting NO!
Click.

No comments:
Post a Comment