Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hey...Dumbbells!



So if you've read this far you know that I bought the band kit when I ordered the P90X program...only the website didn't specify the band resistance...so I got 3 bands that are essentially too much resistance to start off (30, 40 and 50 lbs). This is where P90 needs to fix their website because there are bands for regular women and weak men...just kidding, leave the ego at the door...lol.



This has been one of the setbacks this week as I tried to find a solution. Not really sure which bands I needed, so I opted to just get some dumbbells to start. Why I ever got rid of my old ones from years ago I don't know. Oh yeah, they were too much trouble to haul around every time I moved.

So after doing a little research I finally went dumbbell shopping today.

Now here's the thing...if I had to do it all over again (yes, its only been 4 hrs since I made my purchase)...then I would have ordered the Bowflex SelectTech 220's. Shipped they are $200 and come with a free stand. That's eight weight settings: 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20 lbs. But I didn't get that little web special emailed to me until I got home...fk'ers. I know at some point I am going to be swinging 20lbs...so they just make sense from a dollar to value perspective. But I didn't get them...and I am not taking the ones I did get back...they'll do for now...yes, I am a little bitter about my current transaction. Boo hoo.


So what did I get? Well, I didn't go out and buy five pairs of different dumbbells. That would make me a dumb ass because I'd have at least ten dumbbells laying around the house with no stand for the same price as the Bowflex. So don't do that...it makes no sense to me...unless you really think you can use one pair for every exercise for the full 90 days. Once again, that would make you a dumb ass.

Ok again, what did I get? I picked up the Reebok Speed Pac 25. Now, this is where Reebok's marketing department is a little blurry with their product info...probably on purpose though. There are two Reebok dumbbells called the Speed Pac 25. So pay attention...





One is a single dumbbell that goes up to 25lbs. in 2.5 lb increments (four plates per side)...but not really because each plate is 2.5 lbs and to be weight balanced on each side of the bar that makes it 5lb. increments. One dumbbell is around $70 - 80...and I am thinking most people need two...so now are cost is at $140 - 160, add sales tax and you essentially should have listened to me and bought the Bowflex bars (much nicer) and they come with the free stand. See it pays to wait and watch others screw up.


Then there are the "other" Speed Pac 25's...these are TWO dumbbells that go up to 12.5 lbs each - I guess this is how the marketing boys can dodge the misrepresentation accusations. And the only reason I bring this up is if you order these online then you better read very carefully to make sure you are getting what you want...because either way it could be disappointing to get something too light, too heavy or not enough (pair) and then have to pay to ship them back. That to me is the GOTCHA!

Anyway, I got the pair of 12.5 lbs. at Target today for $75 (incl. sales tax). They are nice enough, but after seeing the Bowflex ad and knowing I will at some point be at 25lbs. its just not the way I would do it again. Plus the little notch to change the weight increments is sorta sticky and you really have to pay attention or it won't get locked in and could fall out causing some damage if dropped on your toe, or in my case on one of the wiener dogs. Somehow I think the Bowflex design is superior...but until they send me a set to review (wink wink) I really can't say.

My address to send those to me is...yeah wouldn't that be nice?

No comments:

We Are the Keepers of this Planet

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Dinosaur Caves

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed