
Ok...so as I wait for my friends and family to get P90X geared up so we can all start on the same day (10/20/08)...I've been proactively preparing myself for the workout which I already know will kick my ass.
How? A little Power Yoga - Santa Monica style.
For those who think that yoga is only for Southern Cali weirdos that eat nothing but soybeans and mediate for a living...well, you are wrong...and I dare you...yes, DARE you to step into Bryan Kest's class for 30-days. Bryan's workout will absolutely squash your close minded opinion about what yoga is and does for the body. His classes are "pay by donation" only, jam-packed with a diversity of peeps from all over LA that love this place so much that they don't like to tell too many people about it out of concern that the line to get in will grow that much longer.
What I like about Bryan is that he's not your stereotypical yogi teacher. He talks about accepting and loving the limitations of your current body and not bringing your ego to class, as that ego gets in the way of your growth...and that is what you are here for right? - to grow and thrive...not feed your ego. So do it.
I've done the P90X Yoga once...and its ok. It's very P90Xish and all the basics are there, but for a truly better yoga experience I prefer the Kest routine. Bryan's DVDs usually run around 45 minutes which is half of what you will experience at an actual Santa Monica class. But the flow of the Kest routine is more fluid whereas P90X feels a little choppy. I'm going to stick with the P90X for the first 30-days, but then move back to the Kest approach for the last 60-days. I think P90X will be great for building the strength and stamina that it takes to excel in Power Yoga.
If you can't attend Bryan's class, then I highly recommend his DVDs...whether its Yoga for Weight Loss or Abs or Body Sculpt is all about the same routine that will leave you sore in places you weren't familiar with and yet after a few times you will feel your body change with your new found flexibility, balance comfort and pose growth. But be warned the first 2-4 weeks can be frustrating because that is the time your body is adjusting to the "pain" and your ego is whispering that yoga is silly. Ignore both and break thru to the other side.
However, I still think that if you have at least a few hours to kill one day and can get to one of his two Yoga Centers in Santa Monica to actually take the class taught by him, then do it. It's worth the 2 hrs. of sweat and whatever your drive time would be...so far I haven't found or heard of a better place to do yoga. Not to mention that paying by donation just feels more spiritual, than some of these overpriced monthly costs I've been looking at. I guarantee that whatever you give will feel like you got a bargain for your workout dollars.
No comments:
Post a Comment