Monday, October 27, 2008

I Used to Hate Mondays...



Mondays used to represent not just the beginning of another work week, but the worst part of the week...conference call day. Now I am not against conference calls per se, they definitely have there place in the business world. But they are often misused and abused...and that for me is where the problem lies.
Instead of being used as a tool for communicating info that will aid everyone on the call, they have drifted toward a means of micro-managing people and calling others out...whether peer-to-peer or the boss putting everyone else on notice that he's still the bear in the scenario.
I left a company who said their vision was one thing, when in fact their philosophy was that of the bear, the last and slowest get eaten and the bear must eat every day. What this created was a culture no longer focused on the business at hand, but on pure survival in your job...and whatever you had to do to beat the guy in front of you so you were not last that day or week...well, you did that. Conference calls were just to hear the bear roar and figure out which one of us he was eyeballing, then try to out run that guy...or help throw him to the bear.
Yes, I used to hate Mondays...it meant staying up late Sunday to prepare for these conference calls. I don't think I want to be a cog in their machine anymore and that is why I am having such a hard time finding another job. Literally nothing appeals to me anymore in that arena. I've only found one company that has an entirely different mindset that I would love to be a part of, but alas they aren't hiring right now.

Anyway, today is Monday...I am unemployed for the moment...and having coffee...life is ok. I had Kashi Go Lean for breakfast = 265 calories and some string cheese (the girls helped polish that off for me). I am going to swap out Chest & Back today for Shoulders & Arms. I am just not in the mood for frustrating push-ups today. I just feel like swinging some iron around.

No comments:

We Are the Keepers of this Planet

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Dinosaur Caves

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed