Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Rumble Between Your Thighs

There has always been a thrill in my blood when it comes to bikes - whether BMX, road, mountain, ATVs or motorcycles. There is a freedom there that you don't find wrapped inside the steel cage of a car, no matter how fast & sexy she may be.

My grandfather was the first to introduce me to the motorcycle. He'd ride me on the back to get to his mailbox...down a rural dirt road a quarter mile from the porch of his ranch. Gripping his waist while the wind assaulted my face and the roar of an engine underneath.

Later, I would date an Italian guy in my early 20's who was sweet enough, but it was his Honda CBR600 that really thrilled me. I'm not sure I remember much of our short dating spree other than riding around on that bike with him. Nearly being sucked off it once on the 405SB at Mach 2. And then probably the best date with him, was when he taught me to ride it in a nearby parking lot one night. For that I will always be grateful.

Since that time I haven't been back on a motorcycle. I played with the idea of buying one about 10 years ago, but my ex poo-pooed that idea - afraid I'd kill myself on a speed bike based on my current driving techniques. I even tried to negotiate a nice low-powered cruiser for the two of us, but that was shot down as well. Looking back on it she was probably right...it would have been a dangerous toy for me at that reckless junction in my life.

My brother (above) is the extreme sport enthusiast of our family. I love him for that passion, living vicariously through him at times. He's mellowed out a bit over the years which I imagine has something to do with his job as a firefighter/paramedic. He recently picked up an R6 and there is always a host of bikes in various stages of assembly in his living room no less. He's a good guy...and I hope that he will be the one to get me back in the saddle this year.

I've been trolling the Internet looking at both speed and cruisers. I like both and want both. I don't desire anything too fancy in a speed bike, but admittedly when it comes to the cruisers the artist in me comes out and all that low-slung chrome drips pure sexual energy.

But I am looking...thinking...this is the year to find at least one bike to park in the driveway.

No comments:

We Are the Keepers of this Planet

Pledge to Fight Animal Cruelty

Dinosaur Caves

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed